After spending 3 hours in Caribou Coffee puttering with my gift to myself- an 8-gig iTouch (so awesome, btw...I just downloaded Twilight for the kindle app), I checked the mail. I got cards! And presents! Here's the breakdown...
I love cards from Grandma. She still writes letters and they are lovely. This one was 4 pages- thank you Grandma!!
Click the image above to see it larger... The comment is probably true.
I got your card, Kate! We toasted and then toasted again. :)
Mom, Dad and Lauren sent an ecard with reggae music and sea gulls threatening to eat the crab of rhythm. LOL :)
On Saturday, after my hair appointment was canceled due to the half inch of snow we got, Christine and I spent a few hours at the office where I fielded happy birthday phone calls, family singing and puttered with a spreadsheet I'm hoping will turn into a corporate standard. Around 5:30, the two of us headed out to the Fig Tree on 7th Street, which I discovered while waiting for a taxi home one rainy evening. A waiter asked if I'd rather wait inside, and, trying not to look like a drowned rat, I had a really enjoyable conversation with the staff. By the time the taxi arrived, I learned about the history of the house and that the waiter who let me in was a former chef. I was definitely coming back.
After reintroducing myself to the waiter, we took some advice and started with a bottle of Malbec and an appetizer they called "The Apple Beggar's Purse".
Sautéed Apples, Onions, Gorgonzola Cheese and Walnuts in Pastry with Sage Butter Sauce
Absolutely fantastic. Christine and I both agreed it was the best thing we've ever tasted. For dinner, I had the Risotto (Arborio Rice with Braised Beef Short Rib, Peas, Parmigiano-Reggiano and Rich Brown Sauce) while Christine ordered the Flounder (Sautéed Flounder topped with Lobster and Rich Lobster Butter Sauce with Asparagus). Amazing!! The risotto reheated great, too.
Then came dessert. We were both pretty full, but with a track record like this, how could we not?? We settled on the donuts, served with coffee gelato and creme anglaise. We practically licked the bowl- the anglaise sauce cut the sugar and cinnamon beautifully and the gelato was the closest thing to Italy I've had since...well, Italy. Christine insisted on treating, and I'm really grateful!!
After dinner we came home to watch "The Hangover" with popcorn and fuzzy creatures. Such a fun day.
But I didn't tell you about the PRESENTS! A mysterious package from Amazon.com arrived in the mail, containing an iTouch case and screen shield (perfect!) and a WEBCAM. I used Sarah's present to make my first Skype call to Marcey and Asa this morning. Kate- you gotta get this. It was so easy!
Thank you so much, Sarah!!
And thanks to everyone for their birthday wishes and phone calls! It was a really great birthday. :)



And you should get another something in the mail today. Hippo Birdie Two Ewes!
ReplyDeleteGlad your birthday was happy! With luck, we'll be skyping soon!
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to it, Kate!!
ReplyDelete