Sunday, January 10, 2010

Candied Orange Peel Recipe

It's cold.  It's been cold for a WHILE.  And when I say it's cold in North Carolina, I mean it's COLD- the average temperature during the day has been in the low 30s...and there's no snow!  So what to do?  Make candied orange peels, that's what!

Many thanks to Eliza and Kate Tweedy for this recipe!

You need:
6 oranges
2 cups of sugar
2 shots peach schnapps 

  • Cut the oranges into quarters.  Carefully remove the peel.  Put fleshy quarters aside.
  • Boil the rinds in a large saucepan for 10 minutes.
  • Drain, refill the saucepan with FRESH water, and reboil rinds for 10 minutes.
  • Drain the rinds.

  • Now you will have lots of soft rind quarters.  Let them cool about 5 minutes., and with a sharp knife, flatten the rind and cut as much white off as possible.


  • Slice the peels into thin strips 1/4 inch thick.

  • Mix 2 cups of sugar with 4 cups of water in the saucepan.  Boil rinds for 15 minutes.
  • Drain peels.
  • Roll peels in at least 1/2 cup of sugar.  The sugar will melt and the rinds will become a wonderful gooey mess!
  • Spread the rind strips in rows on a cooling rack.


  • Let dry1-2 days (sneak a few now and then to "check progress", if you know what I mean).
  • In the meantime, juice the quarters you put aside earlier and combine with 2 shots peach schnapps.  Bottoms up, baby!

2 comments:

  1. SO I was reading the recipe, and thought, "Peach Schnapps? I don't remember that from childhood!" But I have to say - GOOD THOUGHT, girl. I usually just ate them... Ooh, hey, can you imagine drizzling schapps over the quarters and then just munching? Nice party treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I was wondering about the Schnapps too... but I like it!!! Eliza, I think Jen's way is much less messy!... and if you add a good hefty shot of Champagne, you have a Zamboni... no, that's not it... a Zampesi...no,he's a football coach... oh, yeah... Bellini!

    ReplyDelete