At least today I was. The cold snap in Charlotte took a day off today and we were greeted by a beautiful 60-degree day! As I was sans-car, I took a 20 minute walk to my chiropractor's office on 7th street, then onward to Trader Joes on Charlottetowne Avenue. I love how you notice so many things while walking vs. driving. I found the Boy Scouts headquarters of Mecklenberg County. And the dozens of real estate offices. And the kids on the fenced school playgrounds who wave as you go by.
One great find was CP Textbooks, a new and used college bookstore. You can rent textbooks for class. They were arranged according to the CPCC next door (Central Piedmont Community College) but are not associated with any school and anyone can buy or rent a book. Renting works a lot like selling the book back, but without the paperwork. If I wanted to rent the Norton Anthology for the English class I'm not taking, I would pay $19 and return it by May 11. It was actually kinda fun walking around thinking about college and daydreaming about what I'd take if I was going back to school. I had a great conversation with the woman at the counter, bought a copy of "The Tipping Point" and continued on my way to Trader Joe's and back home.
When I left, it was 40 degrees and sunny. When I came back, it was 60 degrees and I was carrying my winter coat. I even made sure to walk on the shady side of the street. My trek ended with a beer on my sunny balcony, listening to the screaming children at the daycare across the street. I'm pretty sure if I'd had a car, I wouldn't have enjoyed the day as much as I did. Although a bicycle wouldn't have been bad...


Walking is a good thing. so is beer!
ReplyDelete