Monday, October 11, 2010

Weekend update

Pardon the lousy phone picture.  It was an interesting weekend on the cat training front.  Oh the things I have learned about cats this month... I know exactly what they're doing and how often they're doing it, which led me to a little more stress than I needed.

The toilet posed, as I feared, the biggest barrier to Pilgrim.  He's scared to death of the thing.  After 2 days of clearly not feeling well and placing accidents in a couple rooms of the house, he slept it off and took a 2-day vacation from the whole thing.  This lead to a worrisome Saturday, when I realized that nobody had done anything in almost 48 hours.  Think about it- you hold it for 2 days and tell me how it's going.  I don't know much about cats, but I can't imagine no action for that long.  Eliza tried to talk me out of my tree. "Think about it.  If he's that uncomfortable, he'll do something about it."  Well, I was looking up the number to the vet when he decided to do something about it.  He got up there, walked around, and meowed pitifully and jumped off, leading me to put him back on the seat.  The funny part is that I had to stroke his back while he did his business.  Eliza and Marcey- THIS IS YOUR FUTURE.  The poor guy was so insecure...But I felt enormously better knowing he wasn't dead.  And he was noticably thinner at the end! 

Things have been hunky dory ever since!  I really do have good cats.  They really do try to do the right thing.  The flushable litter doesn't hide smell nearly as well as the regular stuff, so they spend a lot of time trying to cover, but I'd rather that than using the floor.  The books/magazines disappeared Sunday and all is still well.  Baby steps, people, baby steps.  Today the middle of the their throne will disappear.... cue dramatic music.

2 comments:

  1. And aside from dramatic music... when the "middle" goes away, will they still attempt to "cover"?... and land, head-first?
    As for stroking Pilgrim's back while he "did his thing"... at least you didn't have to read to him, or reward him with some cherished treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like there are some good Eliza toddler stories on the horizon!

    ReplyDelete