It turns out, the festival was really neat!! I wandered about Salem earlier that day and bumped into a bunch of various poetry celebrations sprinkled about town. A highlight was discovering the Typewriter Orchestra next to the Old Town Hall. Along with secretarial percussion, they also did some radio theatre Prairie Home Companion-Style, which was just charming.
That evening with Mickey I discovered that I might really enjoy poetry readings. At times the authors may have talked too fast, but that is the luxury of reading. I especially enjoyed Kim Richey of acoustic folk hero fame, and Patricia Smith of both the Boston Globe and HBO.
Patricia's words were motown and true and unapologetic. It was awesome. A sample below.
Hip-Hop Ghazal
BY PATRICIA SMITHMickey gave me some of her own poetry to read as well. I'm very much looking forward to it! :)
Gotta love us brown girls, munching on fat, swinging blue hips,
decked out in shells and splashes, Lawdie, bringing them woo hips.
As the jukebox teases, watch my sistas throat the heartbreak,
inhaling bassline, cracking backbone and singing thru hips.
Like something boneless, we glide silent, seeping 'tween floorboards,
wrapping around the hims, and ooh wee, clinging like glue hips.
Engines grinding, rotating, smokin', gotta pull back some.
Natural minds are lost at the mere sight of ringing true hips.
Gotta love us girls, just struttin' down Manhattan streets
killing the menfolk with a dose of that stinging view. Hips.
Crying 'bout getting old—Patricia, you need to get up off
what God gave you. Say a prayer and start slinging. Cue hips.


what a fantastic day! The typewriter music reminded me of a dearly loved cut from an old Pete Seegar / Arlo Guthrie album. The self published poetry is such a nice tribute to the anthologist's father... and I love Patricia Smith's poem. I look forward to hearing some of Mickey's.. and maybe some of Jen's?
ReplyDelete