Monday, August 29, 2011

You, Me and Irene

The east coast had a hurricane (well, tropical storm, really) this weekend.  Here's the scoop.

Irene was a very broad lady.  While not overly powerful, she was enormous.  Even JEFF in BUTLER, PA saw the edge of Irene, right over his house.  Literally, right over his house.



Salem got off pretty light in the grand scheme of things.  Attleboro lost power in the morning for the day, but we were lucky.  I had power all day, and the winds came in spats.  One late morning spat knocked out my back yard tree with a magnificent CRRR-ACK!


Nobody was hurt, but the neighbor (on the left in blue) was PISSED.  And understandably so.  She's been worried about this tree for ages, and it finally landed smack on her shed, destroying the roof.

The birdfeeder is A-OK, though.  :)

The afternoon wasn't overly eventful.  Folks started walking about around 2pm when the rain let up.  I spent the day cleaning the apartment and prepping for my ROAD TRIP to Nova Scotia.  (YAAAY!)

I also drank my first hurricane, which promptly knocked me on my ass. Note to self- use less rum.
My parents are in worse shape, however, since they were without power all day and still without power today.  I'm watching the Connecticut Light and Power site for updates, but the eastern half of CT is down and out.  I really wish those guys would get a cell phone.


The road trip starts Wednesday!  I can't wait.  I expect good weather and good company.  I mean, it's Grandma- this is gonna be great. 

1 comment:

  1. Glad you got through the storm so well... sorry 'bout your neighbor's shed! Tell her about the tree which has taken Attleboro's power hostage... maybe she'll lighten up. Loved Jeff's video... that's really impressive. Have a great road trip with your Grandma!!!

    ReplyDelete