Saturday, December 11, 2010

An Arbor Alumina

Earlier this week Jessica Tweedy (hereby referred to as "Miss Jessica") sent me a facebook note:  She sent me a package!  And she's REALLY excited about it.  Daily messages ensued along with tracking information about said package.  I suggested that if there wasn't a live, saddled pony in the box, I was going to be disappointed.  What I received was MUCH, MUCH, BETTER.  I videotaped the unwrapping for Miss Jessica's benefit.  :)



One aluminum tree, circa 1962.  Complete with certificate of authenticity!

After the video, the cleanup, the continuous laughing, the excitement, and one more-than-slightly-smug Jeff (who I openly mocked for owning a fake tree), I discovered Jess' card, which explains the origin an interesting story of this shimmery treasure.  According to legend, this is the very same fake tree that one Kate Baker Tweedy purchased for herself in her first very small apartment house in Fitchburg.  Jess/Kate, this is FABULOUS, I'm truly touched, and my home has never been filled with so much Christmas Cheer.  I laughed the entire time, and I smile each time I look into the den.

Thank you, Jessica!!!  And thank you Kate!  It will be well cared for.  HUGS!!!

11 comments:

  1. smug... nah... well maybe a little :). Thank goodness for Jessica's christmas tree - made my day! now Jen has "seen the light" and won't be mocking me as much for my pre-decorated christmas tree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL... but just to set the record straight, historically... KBT bought the tree perhaps 8 years ago, at the SACC rummage sale, for use at the Fitchburg house. I think maybe it had belonged to Barbara Donohue, but not sure. I decorated it with purple balls, pink feather flamingos, and era-correct strings of pink and silver beads from the 1950s. Pre-decorated, Jeff? tsk, tsk, tsk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT!!! Not your first Christmas tree from your first apartment when you had no space and no money and spent $5? Oh Jessica...you just signed up for a whole lot of coal. I just happen know where to get some... ;)

    Origin story aside, it is still a hilarious and really fun decoration. Cherished because of it's origin and history...whatever it really is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still laughing... circa 1962 I was a sophomore in HS... with no money, but living in my parents' house with tons of space! Instead, that alum. tree was a godsend in the F-burg days when often I wanted a tree, but spent the actual Christmas in Brooklyn or Lancaster.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok, maybe pre-decorated is the wrong terminology.... it is more just still decorated from 2 or 3 years ago. that's the nice part about having a huge basement. one can simply unplug it, put the tree cover over (to keep it from collecting dust of course, and stow it for next year! a brilliant solution!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Santa Jeff, what you have is what we need this Christmas! With all the redecoration going on here, I've been lucky to get out a few mugs, Christmas dish towels, etc. MAYBE, if we're far enough along, in the last couple of days before Christmas, I'll run out and shop for a very small, prelit artificial tree, and that will be it for us. I don't want all our beloved ornaments to get dusty and grimy...or... gleep.... broken!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have given us Christmas joy as we watch the building of a Christmas tradition. Forget the Lego Erector Sets and lines of Dominoes, Christmas is full of Christmas trees and sparkling lights. Let's begin a Build Your Christmas Tree Tradition! By the way, I admire the precision and mechanical know-how used and the instant use of staples to hang your stocking with care. Christmas Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1) Why "Miss Jessica"? It's so much more fun to call her "Nurse Jess Fuzzy-Wuzzy".

    2) The crystalline entity made off with Lore.

    3) Now you need to watch "A Charlie Brown Christmas."

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. Because I metMiss Jess after I learned my letters.
    2. That psycho woman destroyed it in a sequel episode.
    3. I'm sure I'll have lots of opportunities! I've never seen so many Xmas specials...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Calloo, callay, Oh Frabjous Day... the china cabinet is turned around... I found our DVDs... we can watch "it's a wonderful life", "a christmas story", "An American Christmas Carol"... don't need Charlie Brown... have it memorized!!!

    ReplyDelete