Sunday, September 12, 2010

Life is Good! (Festival)


Life is Good!  How do I know?  Cuz I was at the Life is Good Festival in Canton, MA today!  I arrived by car (they strongly recommended NOT arriving by parachute) around 1pm and was greeted by thousands of smiling people!  Smiling!!  People!  For those of you not familiar with the Life is Good phenomenon, it is a company started with a simple character, Jake, whose infectious positive attitude has started a movement across a country.  Proceeds of the festival go towards the Life is Good Foundation, an action-oriented nonprofit, committed to helping young children overcome life-threatening challenges such as poverty, violence, illness and natural disasters.

But that's serious stuff.  The day was about fun!  More specifically, about PLAY.  There were petting zoos...

and seed-spitting and tug-of-war contests...

hats to borrow and pass around...


a free photo booth...

songs for kids...

songs for adults...

songs for the deaf...

good advice...

a green monster...

and of course, the beautiful view of the Great Blue Hills.

It was an amazing day.  Guster was my personal headliner, but other greats such as OK GO, Carole King, Jason Mraz and They Might Be Giants made the cut.  The crowd was the nicest crowd I'd ever seen, and the handlers at the fair were bright, cheerful and positive throughout.  I had oysters for lunch and beer for dinner.  (I found out oyster shells are recyclable!)  I ate cheese and laughed with strangers and decorated recyclable flower pots.  I met wonderful people who shared their towel-space in a concert, passed me a balloon hat, and took my picture with smiles and gladness.  It was an beautifully run event, with great musical guests, and I had an excellent time.  See you next year, Jake!!

4 comments:

  1. OHMIGOD, so much to comment on... Carole King, really???... I knew about "they may be Giants"... the photo strips... middle...definitely you! Looks like such fun!
    (your card arrived today... thanks so much... loved the calendar page tuck in!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah...Oyster shells... like for paths and driveways, or into calcium supplements?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice day with great music and just the right dose of kid energy and young-at-heart je ne sais quoi!
    SO glad that you went. Maybe next year we'll join in the fun and games with our opinionated 2-year-old!
    Marcey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Jen, nice to see you smile and have fun. Great post on the blog, love the photo.s Dan G

    ReplyDelete