One of the stores near my bi-weekly laundry adventure is the Seed & Stitch Fine Yarn Shop on Front Street. A few weeks ago I stopped in looking for a yarn catalog for Grandma and struck up some great conversation. Interested in continuing said conversation and meeting new people, I signed up for a crochet class.
I'm sorry, Jess, I'm hooked.
First: I did know know that knitters had competition with crochet people. ;)
Second: Unlike my knitting experience, crochet is pretty fun! It works up QUICK. We're making a sampler scarf which I hope to wear with pride by, say, next winter. The first class was spent getting confused, being unsure, and feeling really uncoordinated working the yarn and needle. But once we got out of the chain stitch and into double and triple crochets, we were buzzing right along. Here's the results of my first week's homework (against the wool afghan Grandma made me in 1986):
Completed, of course, under Oakley's watchful eye. What a curious cat. :)
Next class is Monday, when we'll learn a basket weave stitch. What I really want to learn, tho, is how to add and remove single crochet stitches, so I can make THIS:
Isn't he awesome? My coworker says the power plant needs a mascot. I suggested a dead canary. He liked the coal-burning dragon. I'm entertaining name suggestions. :)




CHARRIZZARRD of course! You'll have to sign up for ravelry.com. And apology accepted -- IF you teach me how to crochet :)
ReplyDeleteI'll take you up on that lesson, too! Be warned: Jessica is a walking ad for ravelry - she got me in. And it's kinda addictive. ;)
ReplyDeleteI like the dead canary idea, although that wouldn't bode well for the safety of the plant, I suppose. Dragon... hmmm... I'll have to think on that one.
And I'm in for Dead Canary... and what the hell is Ravelry? I'm totally undestanding Revelry... but think I'm missing something here.
ReplyDeleteHighway will be closed for a night, this week... while huge parts of the San Onofre power plant get moved. you coulda been a contendah!
I was at the yarn shop today (buying red yarn) and both women there recommended ravelry. I don't know what it is either, but I'm sure I'll find out soon. :)
ReplyDeleteravelry.com - the knitting gal's go-to guide for new ideas, project sharing, techniques, etc!
ReplyDeleteMarcey