Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Headliner Hell

I've been spending the last week or so tearing apart my beloved 2001 Civic for some much needed love.  I have a fairly lengthy list of things I'd like to do to the old girl, including new speakers, rear brakes, a front caliper, and the most exciting change- a new headliner.  Pardon the image quality...these were taken by phone.

The material was found at Joann's Fabric in Saugus.  A gorgeous green brocade with Asian flair.



The door came off to do the speaker, and while I was at it, I figured what the hey- let's change the trim too.

The headliner was more drama, as it required the removal of all the accessories, lights, clips, wires, etc.  I'm in the process of writing hate mail to whoever designed those damn plastic clips that hold trim to the body.  I must've broken at least 4 of them.

Last was the sunroof.  You know that pic of me and Asa?  Let's just say my flexibility came in handy getting that thing out and back in again.  God gave us 4 appendages for a reason!


I bought the correct spray adhesive and followed the directions.  Actually I used two types of adhesive.  It looked amazing at the time.

And at last, this weekend, the car was reassembled to my delight and my neighbors' admiration.  I got a lot of compliments and attention!!



Unfortunately 2 days later...


And that's about when I emotionally fell apart tonight.  It was the last straw in a large box of straws that have been bugging me this week.  It's been way too hot outside.  I haven't been sleeping well.  Work has been good but I'm nervous.  My mentally disabled upstairs neighbors are causing problems.  My apartment has nagging smells of smoke alternating with car exhaust.  The floor is slanted.  There's too much foot traffic in the parking lot.  I have other sketchy neighbors I'd rather not deal with, not to mention noisy neighbors who spend their time either yelling at their dogs or yelling at their children. I'm single at 34 and want a house and kids in a nice place with a deck.  

Other than that last bit, this is not typical of this part of Salem.  It's just what you get when you put 3 apartment complexes within 100 feet of each other.  The location is lovely.  One set of upstairs neighbors are lovely.  They help with my plants and offer advice/free tables.  The new gentleman who replaced the pot-smokers to my left is a kind shy man who has a menagerie of plants and has created a very friendly space.  But he smokes, and it comes in my bathroom and kitchen window.  My bedroom and other windows line the parking lot and let in both noise and exhaust.  When the windows are closed, the murky smell of soot comes from the bathroom ceiling vent.

So today, sadly... the search for a better apartment has begun.  I chose this apartment, sight unseen, because it was both close to work and was month-to-month.  Now I'll cash in on that month-to-month and hopefully find a sunnier space with level floors and, God willing, a deck to enjoy the outdoors, slightly away from the traffic and tourists below.

1 comment:

  1. I append my earlier... you need sunshine, fresh air, privacy... and much better adhesive! Wish we could be there to help with the move!

    ReplyDelete