Next weekend I will be leaving this great state of North Carolina, with all it's fun and frolic, for more northerly weather. More on that later. To celebrate one last spring fling, Jeff flew down for a weekend in the countryside. First stop, a quick walk around Charlotte to play with the statues in Wachovia Square...
...before continuing on to Grandfather Mountain. I gave Jeff a bumper sticker last fall, and it was time he earned it. The first thing we noticed was that it was WINDY.
This picture was taken AFTER Jeff had already lost his hat once. Ironically, this is the same model hat he lost in the Atlantic Ocean during our whale watch last summer. We walked around the animal viewing area, and finally made it to the top, to some fantastic scenery.
On the drive home, going about 60 mph not far from the mountain, Jeff suddenly said, "there's a bear cub." I have no idea how he caught that, but he was right. On the side of the road, without it's mother, was an ADORABLE bear cub, who ran straight up a tree when we pulled over to get a closer look. I, of course, ran out with my camera to Jeff's nervous "be careful"'s. I stayed close to the car, but momma bear was nowhere to be found.
The next day we went to the Biltmore Estate for their annual Festival of Flowers. The gardens were lined with thousands of multi-colored tulips, exquisitely planted for the occasion.
We walked along some of the trails at the estate as well, before coming to the grand house itself.
Jeff admitted he was a little overwhelmed. I mean, Jeff built his own house at 25. But Mr. Vanderbilt built THIS.
I, on the other hand, was completely taken by the mountains of wisteria blooming everywhere. They're like giant lilacs and smell almost as good.
We stayed until closing time, and I took us to the Grove Park Inn at the suggestion of a coworker. I had no idea what I was in for. We walked in the front entrance to a typical public restaurant, but when we went downstairs to tour the spa area, it was a whole different story. First there was the waterfall...
...and then there was the inner hallways itself. They're lined with very natural looking rock, complete with geodes and quiet glowing pools. I was thrilled and looked into getting a massage just for kicks, but the prices were a little steep. We were, however, able to view one of the many membership pools they had to offer for before your treatment of choice.
I had no idea it was such a hotspot. We missed the Obamas by a week. Apparently he visited the Biltmore Estate and Billy Graham this weekend as well (whose library just reopened after several upgrades).
Don't you just love hyperlinks? :)
On Jeff's last day in Charlotte we stayed local, slept in and meandered to the trails at the Latta Plantation. We both agreed it was the best day of the weekend- the weather was perfect, there were no crowds, and best of all, it was only 20 minutes from the house.
I definitely didn't take enough advantage of this nearby respite during my time here. I let the gray winter weather in Charlotte really get me down (one of the downsides to no snow is no change), and it took a spring fling to rediscover it. It was absolutely beautiful.
More pictures from my weekend can be found HERE. Feel free to download to your screen saving heart's content. Thanks, Jeff for a great weekend!
I checked your site not expecting that you would have put anything new on there since you are packing up to move. We were pleasantly surprised and Jim and I enjoyed the pictures.
ReplyDeleteHurray! I thought you might. :)
ReplyDeleteWe heard about the bear already from Jeff. He has his grandmother's "eagle eyes" and has spotted so many wild animals for us. Did he tell you of his "turtle hunting days as a kid?"
ReplyDeleteYes he did! That's part of why he got so excited about those turtles on a log. :)
ReplyDelete