Bring on the Souffled Omlette!
The ingredients are simple: 4 eggs, 3 tablespoons of sugar, a pinch of salt, a heart attack, apricot jam, a touch of brandy, and a creamy helping of guilt. Oh, Salem Fitness, how I miss you.
The results were not as the book intended, I'm sure. But it was an interesting experiment. First, beat everything to within an inch of it's life, or until firm peaks form:
Then, and this is where I screwed up, fry the folded parts in an oven safe pan. I didn't read this part until later, so the results weren't quite as intended. Then stick it in the oven for 5 minutes. Or, in my case, 10 minutes. It actually looked pretty great!
Until I tried to remove it from the pan prematurely....
I'm starting to understand why we add flour to things. Luckily, we eat with our mouths and not our eyes. So I topped it with the recommended jam & brandy mixture, and ate at least 3 eggs' worth of fluffy happiness. It's like eating an egg marshmallow. (Marcey would be all over this one!)
I'll definitely do this again, except I think I'll skip the sugar and see what happens. That's just a LOT of sugar for any dinner, and as I type this, I'm getting a headache. Though that could also be the beer. If you'd like to try it, here ya go. :)
Recipe #4: Souffled Omelet
Ingredients
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1-2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
- 1 teaspoon brandy
Directions
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In one bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until thick and light.
- In a second bowl, beat egg whites and salt until peaks are firm.
- Fold the yolk mixture gently into the white mixture.
- Melt butter in a 10-inch ovenproof skillet over medium heat.
- (I missed this step) When the foam has subsided, pour the egg mixture into the pan, spread evenly, and smooth the top. Shake the pan after a few seconds to discourage sticking, then cover the pan with a lid whose underside has been buttered to prevent sticking. Reduce heat and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and place the skillet in the oven until the top of the omelet is set, 3-5 minutes.
- Fold the omelet in half (HA!) and slide it onto a warm plate.
- Spread with 2 tablespoons of warmed apricot jam mixed with1 teaspoon brandy or rum.
Yup... skip the sugar! Can only be an improvement!
ReplyDelete