Monday, August 9, 2010

The Salem Maritime Festival

It's Heritage Week in Salem, MA and this weekend held a clown festival, a car show, and the Salem Maritime Festival on Pickering Wharf.

I didn't realize how big it was, of course.  I read the offering, but when I left Saturday for my morning walk/coffee, I ran back for the camera (and called everyone I could think of in my excitement) and grabbed my cowboy hat.  The best discovery was the 17th century family enjoying some morning tea, quietly tucked away in a historic courtyard.  I tried my hand at "The bowles" and watched a new generation explore a different sort of gaming.


The festival itself held a multitude of old timers excited about their shipping knowledge and experience.  The range was vast.  The silversmiths and the navy seals, and the ship-in-a-bottle builders and the historians...I talked to everyone, and contrary to New England stereotype, everyone talked to me.

Alex Bellinger, Ship Model Builder and teacher

Silversmith from Old Newbury Crafters

A colonial shows off his 16' pike, simultaneously fending off the cavalry and infantry.

The Navy showed off various cannon and military maneuvers.
Using a historic fencing sword replica and dagger, I offer the photographer a potato.

They also offered free tours of the Friendship of Salem.

After circling the crowd at least twice and running through one set of batteries, I walked the main drag on Essex Street before soaking my feet and heading out again.  Along the way, a lovely girl performed Irish Step to her father's fiddle.

The weather was heartbreakingly perfect.  The humidity was low, the temperatures were reasonable, the sun was kind.  I was sad to come back home at the end of the day, so I quickly soaked my tired feet and head out again... to a short a cappella concert at the Corner Bookstore and dinner at Tavern in the Square.  I had the braised tuna which came with a fortune cookie.  The fortune?

Indeed.  :)

1 comment:

  1. What a fun day! your photos are great... especially like the one of the rigging... and the one of your feet in the hammock. Aren't you glad you did your toe nails?

    ReplyDelete